How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71048
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My husbands mom has just died - there are a couple of ins policies

This answer was rated:

My husbands mom has just died - there are a couple of ins policies which will cover the funeral. but.......... it appears that her cards for her accounts (I have no idea how much is in each of them) have disappeared and two of my husbands siblings are thought to be the culprits. the other 2 siblings (my husband and his brother) are concerned that the other two or one of the other two at least will have taken all/some funds from the account.
where do we stand please on this - I believe my husbands brother is going to go to the bank/s and tell them that the cards have been stolen and ask they be stopped which is as much as he can do at this point until the death certificate is issued, which will be a while yet as an autopsy has to be carried out? I was under the impression that the eldest would be the initial beneficiary anyway of any monies but have since been informed that all siblings would benefit equally - which is correct ??- there is no will by the way - Thank you..
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
If she had not written a will, and has no husband, then her children inherit her estate after funeral expenses.
The bank will pay the funeral directly on production of the undertakers invoice and copy of the death certificate.
If you believe that the cards have been stolen, you should report that to the police also and give the credit card/bank the incident number.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you