How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34911
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My girlfriend asked me to move in with her a couple of years

Customer Question

My girlfriend asked me to move in with her a couple of years ago. She owns the property but i have been making regular money contributions which I have records of ! The relationship is very rocky at the moment and I believe she's going to ask me to leave very soon, I have very little money and have nowhere to go at this moment in time. I just wondered what rights, if any, do I have.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How much is the house worth an dhow much is outstanding on the mortgage?
What payments have you actually made towards the house or any improvement/alterations to it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi. I'd say the house is worth around 150 thousand but about 90 is outstanding on it. I pay £50 a week into her bank, I pay for Sky TV broadband and phone line £60 a month and also buy most of the groceries. I've invested in home improvements and furniture to the sum of approximately £1500. I also pay for everything when we go out she never has to take her purse. I'm just bothered that I may come home one night and my possessions are piled outside the locks have been changed and I have nowhere to go. Is she within her rights to do this as the house does officially belong to her, my name is not on the mortgage.


Regards John

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
What home improvements have you paid for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

New fire place with wood burning stove, which I've spent a couple of hundred or more on logs and coal. Decorated and furnished 2 rooms and general house repair and maintenance.



Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
I am afraid that you have no right to remain in the property - your only right is to receive "reasonable written notice to leave"
In your circumstances this is likely to be at least 28 days - arguably more - and if she tries to evict you without notice then you can obtain a court order allowing you to return while you find somewhere else to live.
However I am afraid that you have little or no financial interest in the property at all.
The only expenditure which could have given you a claim is the fireplace work - but frankly it is unlikely that this would be seen as sufficient to have given you a financial claim I am afraid.
I appreciate that this is not good news - please ask if you need further details