How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now

I am in the UK, and my visitors visa expired expired about

This answer was rated:

I am in the UK, and my visitors visa expired expired about 10 yrs ago. I've been livng in the uk for 13yrs now. I have a child who will be 5yrs in November. How do I legalise my stay. Can I use the parent route or do I qualify for amnesty for being here for 10yrs plus since the law was changed to fourteen then 20 yrs during the time I was already here?
Hi thank you for your question. I will be happy to assist you today.
The fact that you have been illegally residing in the UK means that any application you submit to legalise your status would be prejudiced due to this.
There is no amnesty, a person who has been in the UK even before the change of rules in July 2012 would need to adhere to the requirements which are in place right now. Therefore you would only be able to apply under the 20 years rule once you have actually resided in the UK for 20 years.
In respect of legalising your status, you would need to apply on the basis of private and family life in the UK, this means evidence of you being involved in your child's life and the effect of you being removed from the UK would have in you being asked to leave the UK. The fact that a child is involved the home office would need to take in to account the effects on your child. You would also need to provide reasons why you are unable to return to your home country and how you being faced with the possibility of being returned would effect you and your child.
You should apply using form flr fp, please see the following link:
I hope this answers your question if however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.
Kind regards
UK_Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you