How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

my partner is adding me to his shop deeds, he owns the shop

This answer was rated:

my partner is adding me to his shop deeds, he owns the shop with no motrgage on it how long does this take if we get a solicitor to do it and do i need proof of who i am i;e passport proof where i live and do i need to go to the solicitors with my partner to sign document and have it witnessed thank you
Alex Hughes : My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. This is called a Transfer of Equity. If there is no mortgage on the property and no money will be changing hands then a transfer of equity is a fairly simple process. Your lawyer should be able to complete the transfer quite quickly depending on how fast you provide certified identification (copy passport/driving licence/proof of address) and return documents. The Land Registry will then take a few weeks to fully register the new details. Unfortunately there is no specific time limit for this but, as I mentioned, it can take a few weeks from start to finish.
Alice H and other Law Specialists are ready to help you