How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71050
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I purchased a dress from Light in the Box that was not acceptable.

This answer was rated:

I purchased a dress from Light in the Box that was not acceptable. Light in the box would only reply to me in Spanish which I do not understand. I do have a communication number from them. How do I get the problem through to them ?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Are they based in Spain?
Do they have a UK office?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I suspect that they are based in Spain. There does not appear to be an UK office and are careful to communicate with a no reply emails. It appears that they are a fully encompassed postal service, similar to the UK.

Did you pay by credit card?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I confirm that I paid by Credit card.

The only thing that I saw in the recent communication in Spanish was this:-www.lightinthe


No instructions in English of course.

You are covered by the distance selling regulations and you have the right to return the dress within 7 days of delivery.
However, the practical reality is that if they are abroad and they are refusing to engage in a meaningful way then it will be very difficult to enforce this.
The advantage that you do have though is that you paid by credit card so S75 CCA gives you identical rights against your credit card company who are UK based and can be sued. I would just ask them to reclaim the money. The seller will get in contact with you fast enough in English to arrange recovery then.
The credit card company might not be happy about that but if it comes to it you can always sue them here
and you will win.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you