How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now

My ex husbands Discretionary leave to remain ran out in June

This answer was rated:

My ex husband's Discretionary leave to remain ran out in June 2014, he was given an extension to send in a new application by end of August. In the meantime he has been arrested for an incident and bailed until Tues. The police want to deport him due to having no leave to remain and he is asking me to help him from being deported as we were previously married for 6 years. He did not get his indefinite leave to remain originally due to outstanding criminal convictions which he did not declare. If I help him what will that entail? Is a letter of support enough?
Hi, thank you for your question, I will be happy to help you today.
Is he in a relationship with any one in the UK?
Does he have any children?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No he's not in a relationship with anyone and does not have children here only a daughter in the Gambia.

Thank you for your reply.
In this case even a letter of support will not be enough, what the home office will look at is what his connections are will the UK, and whether him being deported will effect his human rights.
In this case if he does not have a partner or any family in the UK and has committed a criminal offence, what the home office have now started doing is instead of allowing him to appeal his decision from the UK, they have in cases were there are no children involved, started to deport individuals first and then asked them to appeal their deportation from outside the UK rather than inside the UK.
If your ex partner has a criminal history this is likely to go against him and he is likely to be deported regardless of a letter of support from you. As stated above the home office will look at what effects his deportation will have on family in the UK and if it out weights his deportation or not , in most cases unless you have children in the UK the home office usually believe that deporting an individual would be the right cause of action.
I hope this answers your question if however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.
Kind regards
UK_Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you