How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

CRIMINAL OFFENCEI just become aware that incompatible material

Customer Question

I just become aware that incompatible material ( plastic) was used on grade 2*listed Heritage, without obtaining the wirk consent from Authorities pursuant to Planing( Listed Buildings and Conservation )Act 1990.
I believe that is a criminal offense and I like you to tell me the steps I should undertake in order to report this crime.
1. Do I go to Police and get a crime number
2. Alternatively , where to disclose this.
Should house be treated as crime sceene as plastic is everywhere.
In any case - what is my duty and lihely outcome
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ash replied 3 years ago.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you.

Alex Watts :

You should report this to English Heritage who will investigate the complaint.

Alex Watts :

Therefore you should not report it to the Police.

Alex Watts :

This is not a criminal matter per say. That is its not as if it is theft etc.

Alex Watts :

So the Police won't investigate this.

Alex Watts :

This is a matter governed under slightly different law.

Alex Watts :

You have no duties. Once you report it your work is done

Alex Watts :

English Heritage can consider the matter, investigate and prosecute by serving enforcement notices etc where appropriate.

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer : I need nire info here.
Customer : It us reported and accepted by E Heritage as offence which needs to be rectified. Hiwever, the irganistation which commited this offence is now evicting us in court - as we reported it. This is nit a theft but is criminal danage to historic building, so is an offence . I have right to inform police about it and get a crime number. I do not understand - different law, could you evaluate this. Is this of any use v them in civil court.
Alex Watts : If it is criminal damage, then this is a criminal matter and should be reported to the police.
Alex Watts : English heritage may take enforcement action in the county county
Alex Watts : county court
Customer : I am sorry but your answers are very brief and relate to what I already know.
Customer : I would aporeciate if you could pass this to either criminal solicitor or barrister. I cannot afford any chances here. Thanks
Customer : Hi Alex, Please pass this to another expert as requested.
Customer : I will rate your service when you pass this to another expert.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, i need more precise information as to how to proceed. I live in house, grade 2 * listed where Landlord performed repairs without ibtaining poper consent or act within the consent. This is I believe criminal offence pursuant to Planning( Listed building and Conservation) Act 1990.
I understand that it is the role of Authority to investigste but I want to know whether I should register this with Police as a crime and than let them investigate or appoint relevant investigation.
I am confused shen your expert says : This is different criminal offence. What does that mean, is this different 0ffence? Please clarify as I need to act on this.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
My name is Alex Hughes and I'm happy to help with your question today.

Enforcement of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 falls within the remit of the local planning authority and/or English Heritage. The police do not investigate and prosecute these cases. These are quasi-criminal offences and although prosecuted in the Magistrates Court they have a civil element to them. As such the police do not get involved. You can try and "register" the crime with the police but they will tell you to take it up with the planning authority.