How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71147
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

handy man smashed screen of my television in error wandle

This answer was rated:

handy man smashed screen of my television in error wandle will not give me the detail of the company so that i can make a claim from their insuance handyman has also denied that he has done it
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello, I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this. Did yo see the him break it if not how do you know the handy man broke the TV?


i saw him break the screen he brought his ladder which i told him was not suitable for my flooring but he replied that he was going to use it he even put material under the ladder as though he was dealing with the outside i offered him my two stepped ladder which would have been much more suitable but he refused to use it


i need to get my compensation i got in touch with a person who fixes televisions he told me that it was not worth fixing and that it would be better if i bought a new television set i am not working now


i cannot afford to

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Sorry for the delay.
Do you know how much the TV was worth?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i have seen televisions in retail outlets worth £500

but were they comparable to this one?
How old was it please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

over five years

And how much did you pay roughly for it when you bought it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

almost £1000

You do have a claim against him obviously.
But you cannot claim the recommended retail price for this item because it was over 5 years old. That would be replacing old with new which is just betterment rather than compensation.
If you had to go to court over this the court would reduce the award to take into account the age of the TV. There are no set percentage reductions for television sets but actually a figure of £500 would not be unreasonable given the price that you paid.
If he refuses to comply though then your only option is to sue him. You can issue here
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71147
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Jo C. and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you