How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71152
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have bought a car for my son as he cannot get the finance

This answer was rated:

I have bought a car for my son as he cannot get the finance due to being a discharged bankrupt. I am worried about the insurance as I will be named as the registered keeper of the car but as I have my own car and will not be driving it (apart from very very occasionally), he needs to insure the car in his name, can this be done or should I change the registered keeper to him and is this legal with the car being on finance?
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Why are you the registered keeper?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As I am buying the car new they register it in my name

Thank you.
He should be the registered keeper. He is the keeper.
If you set down that you are the registered keeper then you will become liable for any local council parking fines and various other legal obligations.
Also, the insurance company have a right to know where the vehicle is kept overnight and failing to tell them will be relevant nondisclosure allowing them to disallow any claims.
There isn't anything in principle wrong with you purchasing a car for him as long as everybody is aware of that and nobody is being misled. The finance company will not care as long as you are the liable person because you are the more attractive defendant as you are solvent.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Thank you - can I ask the garage to register the car in my sons name as it has not yet been delivered and is not due until October and the finance has already been approved.

Yes, if it hasn't been done.
You need to tell the finance company just to be certain. I suspect they will have no interest in the matter but its important to disclose.