How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

My 70 year old mother has no relatives in Trinidad. She previously

This answer was rated:

My 70 year old mother has no relatives in Trinidad. She previously lived and worked here for 35 years and has payed tax & NI. She currently draws a UK state and private pension. I was born in the UK and lived here all my life. I am 47 years old and married with a 3 month baby and 7 year old. I am a home owner and have a gross joint income of £90,000. She will be living with me permanently. What do I need to do to get her here quickly? Is it straightforward? How long will it take? Also she does have a house to sell in Trinidad to help with the changes that I need to make to my property.

What nationality/passport does your mother have and on what basis did she live in the UK before?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She has a Trinidadian passport. She lived here as part of the Commonwealth I presume.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She was just a resident here it.

Thank you.

If she requires long term personal day to day care which she cannot obtain back home, she may apply for an adult dependent relative visa. The immigration rules changed in 2012 and previously, she could have applied simply on the basis of being over 65, being financially dependant on you and having no other relatives back home in Trinidad.

You may read about this type of visa here:

This type of visa application is not straightforward and I would suggest that you appoint an immigration solicitor here in the UK to prepare the application. The visa application processing time in Trinidad is up to 3 months (90 days).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Should we get a solicitor from uk or Trinidad . Can she apply while in this country ?

An Immigration Solicitor in the UK. She should apply from Trinidad.

All the best, ***** ***** feedback
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you