How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

if you put your car into a garage for repair and he gives you

This answer was rated:

if you put your car into a garage for repair and he gives you a quote of 1300 pound to repair with new parts,then says it will now cost 1500 pounds witch you agree to, then your told he cannot get the car working,and has taken the new parts out to get a refund and replace them with second hand parts from a breakers yard ,but still cannot get working,then tells you it will now cost 1700 pounds which i would not agree to, when i ask for the car back i was told i would have to pay 1700 pounds to get car back even though it was not working.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
did he tell you there was no guarantee of success?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no he did not, he said with new parts to get car working would cost at first 1300 pounds then i agreed to 1500 pounds but when he still could not get working i refused to go further. and ask for the car back which he replied if you pay me 1700 pounds or you dont get it back.

Thank you.
How long has he had the vehicle?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

since january this year

How long did he tell you it would take?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

2 to 3 weeks as we was moving home in march.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

2 to 3 weeks as we had to move in march

He is holding a mechanic's lien over the vehicle so you cannot just remove it even if you could get the keys.
You do have a good claim to get the vehicle back as he hasn't done the work within the time scale or at all and he continually asks for more money in breach of your contract. You are reasonably entitled to say you have lost faith in him.
However, if he will not agree then your only option is to sue. The first thing to do is to send a letter before action warning him of your intention to sue if the car and any monies paid is not returned within 7 days.
If that fails then you could get a solicitor to write to him. That is surprisingly effective.
If that fails then your only further option is to sue either for the value of the car or an injunction forcing him to return the car. There is expense in the latter option but you can recover from him and it probably won't come to that as he isn't going to want to go to court and explain himself given the history.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes please, we are away tomorrow till next monday, my mp number is,

07973141683 or *********** land line

we can comunicate better after weekend


***** north walsham

norwich nr289xg

We cannot have contact outside of the site I'm afraid. Those are the site rules.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can you send a letter to the garage owners explaining they will be taken to court for the return of the car or the value of the car.

No, this is a question and answer site for general information.
I cannot act for you.
If you want a letter before action you need to see a highstreet solicitor or a barrister under public access.
I can probably find somebody local to you if you tell me where you are roughly.
I'm happy to continue with this but please leave feedback for my answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your help ,i will find a high street solicitor for the next stage.

many thanks

No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you