13262538

My mum recently died. I lived with her as her carer, and two

My mum recently died. I lived with her as her carer, and two of my three siblings want to sell the house (my home) to gain their share of the proceeds. Can they demand I move out so that the house may be sold?
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
Did your Mother leave a Will?
Kind Regards
AL
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. The will states that the estate will be sold and equally divided. I want to pay my siblings their share, while they want me out and the house sold.

How much is the property worth and what other assets are there?
Have yo always lived with your mother as her carer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The value is £70-75k, and yes, I did live with mum (with my children) as her carer. There are no other assets.

How long had you lived with her?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just over a year. She began with Vascular Dementia about three years ago, but when she got to the stage when we feared for her well being, we moved in.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did reply to this question late last night.....I lived with her for just over a year.

Where were you living before that - and can you go back there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was in rented accommodation in another town, so can not go back.

Is there any reason why the property cannot be marketed while you live there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, but with my share, I could not afford to get another house, and the chance of affording a mortgage is nil on a very low salary. I could afford to pay my brothers over a period of a couple of years if they would accept the timescale. but I haven't got the saving to pay them all at once.

Were any promises about your future housing made when you went to live with your mother?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not really; though we did talk about keeping the house in the family (buying my siblings out) nothing was made official either verbally or in writing.

Has probate been obtained?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What does that mean? (forgive my ignorance!)

No worries
Who are named as Executors in the Will?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My sister only (who is actually on my side in all this).

I am afraid that as Executor your sister is under a personal duty to ensure that the property is sold for the best possible price as swiftly as possible.
If you had sold a house to move to care for your mother then you could challenge the Will on the basis that it has not made proper provision for you.
You could still try and make such a claim - but the case is not a strong one and you could face legal costs.
Otherwise I am sorry - yes in the long term your sister as executor will have to transfer the property into your joint names and then your brothers will be able to apply to the court for an order forcing you to leave.
however this may take some time
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further assistance
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.