How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

i dont know if Im asking the right person but i have a problem

This answer was rated:

i don't know if I'm asking the right person but i have a problem with a builder. I had a kitchen, wet room, and utility room extension. I was estimated £39,000. now the name of this company was M&R Building Services (South west) Ltd. I have just received a final bill from a different company for £62,000 charging for some things twice.
There was no building contract as the builder wanted to keep it off radar and I have given £39,200 to his private personal bank account.
I have never instructed this other company to do any works but the builder is also a MD of this other company.
Having spoken to him he has wound up M&R Building services to get rid of his partner.
What should I do? I have asked for a few extras but not that would come to £22000 more and not from the other company
Do you have anything in writing at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

only the final bill but this is from a different company

Thank you.
Do you have any evidence that you paid the £39K to the builder's bank account?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes bank statements

Thank you.
I would suggest that you write a letter to this other company disputing their bill and asking them to provide evidence that you entered into any agreement with them and informing them that you will see any further contact from this company as harassment which you will report to the police.
That should make them stop.
This company has no ground for bringing a successful claim against you if you did not enter into an agreement with it, simple.
If they go to court, you should defend any claim by the company on the grounds that you deny ever entering into any agreement with the company and asking the company to produce evidence of any such agreement, which they will not be able to do.
May I help further?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi thanks for that.

we don't dispute that we owe some monies to M&R Building Services (South West) Ltd but this company is dissolved. where do we stand with the outstanding balance and who do we pay?

Will there be a legal team for the disolvancy and will they contact us?

I have just done a search at Companies House and this M&R company is showing to be active and not dissolved, see below
Name & Registered Office:
Company No. 05676341
Status: Active
Date of Incorporation: 16/01/2006
Country of Origin: United Kingdom
Company Type: Private Limited Company
Nature of Business (SIC):
43390 - Other building completion and finishing
Accounting Reference Date: 31/01
Last Accounts Made Up To: 31/01/2013 (TOTAL EXEMPTION SMALL)
Next Accounts Due: 31/10/2014
Last Return Made Up To: 16/01/2014
Next Return Due: 13/02/2015
Mortgage: Number of charges: ( 0 outstanding / 0 satisfied / 0 part satisfied )
Last Members List: 16/01/2014
I would suggest you get in touch with this company's directors regarding payment of what you admit owing them and inform them that you have evidence of payment of the £39K into the personal bank account of one of the directors and that any attempt to double claim this amount will be seen as fraud for which you may involve the police.
Hope this clarifies. Please leave feedback
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you