How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71134
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Can i legally take ownership of a motorbike that is in my garage

This answer was rated:

Can i legally take ownership of a motorbike that is in my garage from the previous owners (of the house) daughters ex boyfriend.
It has been there since 2006 and was originally kept by the girlfriend after her boyfriend damaged her mums car, police were called, but no charges pressed and as long as he paid for the damages to the car he would get his bike back.
None of which happened.
There has been no attempt at retrieving the bike, and less so since i brought the house a year ago.
It has the keys with the bike and i've already done an hpi check, that all came back clear.
I've spoken to the police and dvla and all they say is i can apply for the log book.
However, i just want to make sure that i can legally do that with no reprecautions.
Many thanks in advance.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
I presume this person is the registered keeper?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes he is

What happens when you make contact with the owner?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I haven't been able to contact the owner, no forwarding numbers or address.

Thank you.
Clearly this vehicle has been abandoned but it is never that simple with vehicles.
What you need to do is approach the DVLA. The police are right. That will give the DVLA the opportunity to ask the previous keeper if they have any objections and to suggest that he contact you within a reasonable time.
All you have to do is contact the DVLA explaining the position. They will make efforts to trace the registered keeper and if they fail within 30 days then you can legally apply for a V5 in your own name.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you