How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35056
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi I hope you can help, Im asking about whether I can get

This answer was rated:

Hi I hope you can help, I'm asking about whether I can get a mortgage with my in-laws, as a combined mortgage, they are pensioners, I work full time and my husband works full time, but is self employed,
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Have you spoken to a mortgage advisor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I haven't.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

really asking whether we can or not, and what would be the best way to go about it?

Have you seen a property you wish to buy?
Is there any deposit available?
Will you all be living together?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes on both questions...

What deposit do you have and how much is the property you wish to buy?
How much do you all earn?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The property is for sale at 160,000. Mother and father in-laws pensions together are 1,100 per month, mine is 1,400 per month and my husbands is 2,400 per month, we have no deposit as yet.

Can you raise a deposit - if so how much?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

who much would we need and how long roughly does the process take to start going ahead?

You can find a guide to the various stages of house buying here
However you will need to raise at least a 10% of the purchase price as a deposit - and this cannot be raised via a loan
You also need to consult a Mortgage broker to discover what mortgage capacity you have.
It is unlikely that your in laws income will be counted towards mortgage capacity because of their age.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you