How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12176
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Advised by a solicitor regarding my late mothers will that

This answer was rated:

Advised by a solicitor regarding my late mothers will that no provision was made for me this was written 3 weeks fork or to her death, where my three siblings and one of the siblings son is given equal share. What are my rights.
Thank you for your question.
If your mother died unmarried you have a legal rights claim to one eight of your mother's movable estate. Moveable estate is all property except land and buildings. Your legal rights claim can't be excluded by a will and must be paid before any other legacies.
Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My mother was my only surviving parent. I have 3 siblings.
Thank you for confirming. Your entitlement is as above, one eighth of moveable estate by way of legal rights.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you estimate the legal cost to pursue my legal rights.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Am l able to request the value of her estate, she doesn't own a property so it is only moveable assets?
It shouldn't cost you anything as the solicitor knows that you are entitled to claim legal rights and you must be paid them, in addition to which you are entitled to a calculation of what you are getting, so they have to tell you what the net moveable estate is.

You should write to the solicitor confirming that you intend to claim your legal rights and that he should write to you once the estate has been ingathered.

So you're not pursuing a case, you're simply claiming on the estate and no one can oppose that claim.