How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12183
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I am the eldest son and heir of my mother, who just passed

This answer was rated:

I am the eldest son and heir of my mother, who just passed away. Her will disinherits me completely in favour of my younger brother and my children.
Is this legal? Can it be successfully contested ?
Thank you for your question.
You can only contest the will if you can establish that your mother was in a position to be, and was, unfairly influenced into making the will owing to age or infirmity. This is called facility and circumvention.
However, if your mother know her own mind and was quite clear that she wanted to disinherit you then you have no cause to challenge the will.
However a parent can't disinherit a child completely under Scots law. You have legal rights.
Assuming there is no surviving spouse and you and your brother are the only children you have a legal right to claim one quarter of your mother's moveable estate. Moveable estate is everything except land and buildings and includes money, policies, shares, bonds and the like.
Legal rights arise irrespective of the terms of any will.
Happy to discuss further.
Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you