How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am already with a solicitor but want to change to another

This answer was rated:

I am already with a solicitor but want to change to another one is that possible. I had a very very bad accident and broke my back in November. my solicitor does not seem to be working for me I feel I need to change. can you help me please. Eileen fletcher
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Are you paying privately?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was hoping for no win no fee

I see you have relisted this.
If you are paying private then yes you can transfer it.
If it is no win no fee it is a CFA. You need to check the terms of business and the CFA. It may say that you have to pay for the incurred legal fees up to the point you withdraw instructions.
If not then yes you can move the CFA instructions to another firm.
But check the terms of business and terms of the CFA
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how much would it cost to go private.and

It really depends. Its an hourly rate of about £150 - £200 per hour. The a Barrister to represent you at trial assuming it is 1 day is around £1000. All plus VAT.
Does this help?
Sorry for the interruption above.
What is the sum of your claim please?
The 1st thing that you need to do is find another solicitor that is willing to take this on for you partway through.
Actually don't worry. I can give you most of the information you wanted.
You cannot insist that the existing solicitor carries on with it and the existing solicitor can not refuse to let you go.
However depending on the current solicitors terms and conditions he may be able to hold onto the file unless you agree to pay his costs.
Even though he is working on a no win no fee basis he is the only one who is entitled to withdraw from the transaction not you. If you withdraw, you will usually be liable for his costs because if you withdraw (even if you go to another firm of solicitors) the existing firm of solicitors will not get their costs regardless of whether you continue with the claim or not..
However most firms of solicitors will happily let the file go providing your new firm of solicitors agrees to give an undertaking to pay the original firms costs to the date of leaving if the claim is eventually settled in your favour.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you