How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10736
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

Hi my partner and I bought a house back in January.This is

This answer was rated:

Hi my partner and I bought a house back in January.This is a joint mortgage with Nationwide building society (50/50).
The deal was, one of us had to have a current account with the building society.
I forward my share of mortgage and insurance monthly using online banking to that account.
Unfortunately our relationship has broken down.
We are still living together in this house separately with her adult son living with us.
Her son moved here with us and has signed declaration if house sold has to move out.
In all fairness I would like to sell house and move on with our lives.
My partner doesn't want to sell.
What should I do?
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
Either of you can make an application to the courts that the other buys the other out of the property or the court make an order for the sale of the property. As a general rule, the joint legal owner who has equity in the property as above, has the right and of the trusts of land and appointment of Trustees act two make an application to the court to realise their equity in the property. So in this sense, either of you can seek such an order against the other so I suppose the simple answer is yes you can potentially force a Sale of the property if you cannot afford to buy her out or vice versa.
Obviously, it would be better for all concerned to reach an amicable agreement as to what should happen to the property, but the above information gives you leverage in the event your partner is not willing to co-operate.
I hope this assists and answers your question.
Kind Regards
Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you