How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 49776
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Hello, I have worked at a nearby farm for the last 6 years

Customer Question

Hello, I have worked at a nearby farm for the last 6 years on a self employed basis. I was originally taken on to work alongside my employers father in law, who was an account, to sort out the invoicing side of the business which required me to go in once a week. After a few months of working there my employer fell out with his father in law and he left. To help my employer out I picked up the pieces and carried on managing my job and the accountants job, which was the book-keeping side of the business. This carried on for a number of years, payments were always slow coming from my employer, but I still continued there even tho he'd owe me a couple of months money. Last year an accountant approached the farm and said he could finalise all the accounts and manage the book-keeping side of the business for a fraction of the price he was paying now, although my employer continued to employ me the accountant was taken on to finalise the year end accounts and work out the monthly P&L, over the months it became clear that the accountant wanted me out, being extremely slanderous in his letters to my employer about me. A couple of months ago I was unable to take anymore of the accountants back stabbing ways and wrote a letter to my employer saying that I would have to leave and would appreciate the last 6 months money he owed me to be paid back by monthly direct debit payments, ( as I know he has severe money problems and would find it difficult to find £1,500.00. Of course my employer has ignored my letter and I have received no money from him since the letter was written 7 weeks ago. I would like to know what should I do next to get the money back? I would appreciate any advice on this. Thanks Jackie
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 3 years ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Whenever a dispute arises over money owed by one party to another, the debtor can be pursued through the civil courts for recovery of the debt. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:
1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the debtor to voluntarily pay what is due.
2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the debtor must be sent a formal letter asking them to repay the debt, or at least make arrangements for its repayment, within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to recover the debt. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.
3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the debtor and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.
Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.
Hope this clarifies your position?