How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71030
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I think I am being harassed by someone I had a relationship

This answer was rated:

I think I am being harassed by someone I had a relationship and child with. The harassment has been going on for over a year. It started with phone calls, text messages and the odd letter. I reported it to the police who initially gave her a warning which she ignored and so consequently served her with a PIN which she breeched. However, the police decided not to prosecute since it was a domestic matter. Nevertheless she was told not to contact me or my wife again. Despite this she has continued to send letters and cards through the post. We have also been receiving a lot of phone calls from a withheld number which we believe could be her. I phoned her and asked her one last time to leave me and my family alone (answer phone). My wife was with me and witnessed that this call was not threatening in any way, it was a polite request to please stop. She has now reported me to the police. Please can you tell me my rights and if it is right that I should have tolerate this womans constant invasion in my life. I want nothing to do with her or the child. I am of course providing financially via CSA. Please advise me I am nearing a mental breakdown as is my wife due to this woman not leaving us alone.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
If their explanation for refusing to prosecute was that this was a domestic then you should complain to the highest officer and the IPCC. If you were female and she were male they would have the witch finder general out to this. You would not believe how much I wish their policy were not to prosecute domestics. I might have time in my life then to deal with proper crime and room in my pigeon hole in Chambers to move!
You should report this to the police immediately.
You can also sue her in the civil courts and seek an injunction to stop her harassing you.
I don't know what she has reported you to the police for? If its just one call then thats not harassment.
This young lady is using the police to point score. If in doubt make allegations of domestic abuse in the UK. Get out of gaol card! Its quite common.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you