How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32086
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I live in a block of flats built by Taylor Wimpey around 2

Customer Question

I live in a block of flats built by Taylor Wimpey around 2 years ago. There are 41 flats owned by leaseholders at my end of the building and 27 Housing Association flats at the other end. There is a common ground floor car park (flats on 1-5) with access to separate cycle stores and refuse areas. There is also a common "garden" area on the first floor. Taylor Wimpey appointed the managing agents for the whole building (with no consultation with the leaseholders) and the management agents are party to the leases. The managing agents have consistently failed in their duties and Taylor Wimpey have agreed that they should be removed. At this stage, we simply want an alternative managing agent appointed, but Taylor Wimpey are saying the only way to do this is for the leaseholders to form a Right To Manage company. Is that correct? Would there not anyway be complications regarding the shared areas? (We would probably want to move to Right to Manage at some time in the future, but only after the many problems have been resolved, and the building has been run efficiently for a period.) Regards, ***** *****

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
The reason why Taylor Wimpey are saying that you need to exercise your right to manage is because for them to replace the managing agents would probably involve an amendment to the lease.
Currently is the managing agent a limited company set up specifically for the purpose?
Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The full name of the managing agents is JJ Homes (Properties) Limited, so it would appear that they are a limited company.

I can email you a copy of my lease if there is some way to do that.

I am the Chairman of the leaseholders' residents' association and we have a committee meeting Tuesday evening, so I will appreciate a full response before then.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

"The professional has left the conversation"!!!!!

What sort of service is that??

I would like an answer by tomorrow (Tuesday 9th) afternoon, or an immediate refund.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When will I receive the refund?

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.
I will process the refund for you now and you should receive email confirmation of this.
Thank you and I apologise that we could not help on this occasion.