How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I have purchased a house with my long term Partner. My late

This answer was rated:

I have purchased a house with my long term
Partner. My late Father gave a substantial amount as a deposit, as did his Mother.
I am not on the deeds & have no proof that I contributed to the purchase of the house.
How do I rectify this situation?

Why was your name not put down on the deeds and does your partner agree that your name should be on the deeds?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm on Employment Support Allowance &
Disability benefit, I have a chronic condition
Your partner may do a transfer of equity in your favour so that your name is ***** ***** the deeds.

If your partner refuses to do so, you may lodge a unilateral notice at the Land Registry to protect your interest in the propert. You are not required to submit any proof of your interest at the point you lodge the unilateral notice, you are only required to submit proof if your partner challenges your notice.

As your father contributed to the deposit, you could argue that a presumed resulting trust arose in your favour but you would need to go to court for an appropriate order in your favour if your partner does not recognise your interest.

I would suggest that you consult a face to face solicitor for further assistance.
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you