How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

I took a pound out of a shop till where I was working 36 years

This answer was rated:

I took a pound out of a shop till where I was working 36 years ago. I went to court and was fined. Ten years ago I was employed by the Nhs. I have worked there 10 years and was told today that they have lost my records. I would have to apply to the police for clearance even though I applied 10 years ago and got clearance. I was told that their system has changed from 10 years ago. Can I now be found out by the new system and lose my job? I am of retiring age. Should I retire ?
Alex Hughes : My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today.
Alex Hughes : What type of job do you do?
Customer: I work for the NHS as an administrator for health visitors
Alex Hughes : The conviction is well and truly spent. It will not appear on a standard DBS search. There is a slim chance that it might appear on an enhanced search but I think this unlikely because of the age of the matter. I don't think it's worth retiring early over this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you but my question is: can my old record be divulged by the new system. Can the new system override the old system
You will have to clarify please what "new" system you mean. There is only one method of checking previous convictions for employees and that's via a DBS search.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I hAve been told by my manager that there is a new system in place and things can be found a lot quicker. I have been told by the police that whatever I have done ŵill stay with me forever even though it did not show up on the old system
I do not accept the police explanation nor should you. Police officers generally have very little legal knowledge and lack technical understanding.
The conviction is spent and very old indeed. I would be very surprised if it did appear. In any event even if it did appear your employer would find it very difficult to justify any action against you for something so minor that happened 36 years ago. If it was a violent or sexual crime then they would be justifiably concerned - but it sounds like a petty offence.
Alice H and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. I will hand birth certificate and driving license in tomorrow feeling a little easier. Can I come back to you on this please
No problem at all. Alex