How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35091
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Hi. I am a single mum. My child is 5 months old. Her dad

This answer was rated:

I am a single mum. My child is 5 months old. Her dad has her 3 days a week for a few hours. He come to collect her the other day and took her to a caravan site to visit family. I was unaware that she was going this far away as he did not tell me. My question is am I entitled to know exactly where my child is going. As my child's father's reaction was that he doesn't have to tell me anything?
Await your response.
Thank you for your question.
My name is ***** *****
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Is the father named on the birth certificate?
What was your objection to the trip?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes he is on the birth certificate. I have no objection to the trip. I would have expected him to tell me that he was taking our daughter quite far away. He has proven to be untrustworthy and has also lied on numerous occasions. So when he has our child I am always weary about where he takes her. As he likes to drink. When I said I would appreciate it if he told me that he was going on a road trip as if anything was to happen god forbid I would know where my daughter is. His response was he doesn't have to tell me anything. So I just want to know where I stand regarding this.
Thank you
He has Parental Responsibility for the child and when the child is with him he can do what he wishes provided the child is kept safe and well
On that basis no he does not have to tell you exactly what he intends to do with the child each time
However there is a substantial difference between not telling you what he is doing locally and taking her
on a long car journey.
Clearly if he is going a great distance it would be polite to let you know - not least so that you can provide extra nutrition in case there is a traffic jam or other holdup.
You can read more on this site
and it would be sensible to use Family mediation ( to agree a Parenting Plan.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Clare. Wasn't quite the answer I was hoping for. But I have taken the options you have given on board. I just have one more question to ask.
Is it the same case if my child stays over night with her father and he takes her away to stay elsewhere ie: the caravan site without my knowledge. Is there nothing I can say about it? If there is what actions can I take? I have just a lot of trust issue regarding the father and I'm trying to make this situation as amicable as possible for me child but it's proving to be very difficult.
Kind regards
That depends if there is any reason why he should not take the child there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry I think I should of worded that slightly better. Should I arrange for my child to go and stay with her dad at his house and he should lie to me and pretend that he is at home with her but really he has taken her to stay elsewhere. The issue I would have is because I would not feel comfortable her staying over night quite far away from me just yet as she is still very young.
The problem is that if he can cope with the baby overnight then technically it does not matter where he is so long as there is proper provision for the baby.
However I do understand your concerns - and it is reasonable for you to make it clear that if he breaches your agreement it will reflect on how contact moves forward
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you