How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35059
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

Can my daughter be stopped from taking her children from one

This answer was rated:

Can my daughter be stopped from taking her children from one school to another if she has moved into another town.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How old are the children and why does your daughter wish to move rather than remain in the former matrimonial home?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi the children are 7 and 6.

The bungsalow they live in belongs to the farm which are on her in law property. She is still there at present but he is making life very difficult for her. She has to move

Just to check - who has the day to day care of the children at the moment?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They both do. Mainly my daughter as she works part time.

Hi .
thank you for that.
Have they discussed how the children will share their time between them - and has her ex said that he is willing to fund the travelling so they can remain in the current school if they move.?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I know they will see both parents but as for funding to get them to stay in the same school I cannot answer. Sorry. Can he legally stop them from moving school that is what I really need to know.

Your daughter certainly needs to consult him on the school issue - and discuss practicalities using family mediation (
If that fails then her husband can apply to the court for a prohibited Steps order which would mean that she would not be able to change the schools until the judge had decided whether or not the change was in the best interests of the children.
Given the fact that your daughter cannot remain in the matrimonial home and that the move will not interfere with any contact arrangements I would expect the court that the court will indeed agree that the move is necessary
Please ask of you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you