How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LondonlawyerJ Your Own Question
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 818
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
LondonlawyerJ is online now

My female cousin aged 57 has lived in a Council house with

This answer was rated:

My female cousin aged 57 has lived in a Council house with her parents all her life; her Father died some years ago and the tenancy passed to her Mother, who has recently died.
I believe my cousin could not take on the tenancy, but does the Council have an obligation to house her (they have already advised that she cannot remain in the current three bedroom Council House)? Thank you.
LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

You are right that she cannot succeed to the tenancy as there has already been one succession to her mother. The council will not have an obligation to house her unless she has some kind of need (eg a disability or a minor child). I take it the local authority have not yet served a Notice to Quit.

LondonlawyerJ and other Law Specialists are ready to help you