How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UK_Lawyer Your Own Question
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2458
Experience:  I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
Type Your Law Question Here...
UK_Lawyer is online now

My wife and I came to U.K in 2011.My wife is from the Philippines

This answer was rated:

My wife and I came to U.K in 2011.My wife is from the Philippines but we lived in Abu Dhabi for over 20 years.We followed all the correct procedures and obtained all the relevant documents including an english language assessment which she passed to level A1 (mapped to the CEFR)which was the required level at that time.
We have now applied for citizenship which we could not apply for before 3 Years they now Say that level B1 is the required minimum.Could you advise if A1 is enouigh.
From *****@******.***
Hi, thank you for your question, I will be happy to help you today.
Unfortunately, A1 English test would not be acceptable when applying for citizenship. The home office have made it clear that applicants who have obtained their visa under the old immigration rules ( pre 9th July 2012) you will need to adhere to the current immigration rules when making any application for indefinite leave to remain or citizenship.
Therefore in your case you would need to undertake the life in the UK test as well as the B1 English language test when applying for citizenship.
In formation on life in the UK test can be found at the following link:
I hope this answers your question if however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please do not hesitate to ask further questions until you are satisfied with my answer.
Kind regards
UK_Lawyer and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you