How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I am selling a property which I have been renting out, I paid

This answer was rated:

I am selling a property which I have been renting out, I paid the previous tenant £45,000 to vacate the house as I needed it back. Can I set off the £45,000 against any capital gain tax from the sale.
John Maitland
Hello John ,
In my opinion, you cannot offset the £45K payment as it was not incurred in buying, selling or improving your property but paid to a tenant to vacate the property.
You could have sold the property without getting the tenant to vacate it.
Sorry, it is not the answer you may wish to hear but I can only advise you truthfully.
May I help further?
UKSolicitorJA and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you