Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law

can a couple who own a house as joint tenants charge rent to

can a couple who own a house as joint tenants charge rent to the party living in the full house. The house is mortgage free
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
I am afraid that as Joint tenants, you both legally own the property, and both of you are entitled to reside in the house, as of right.
Therefore, you aren't legally entitled to charge him rent.
Although I am a Property Solicitor, as opposed to a Matrimonial Solicitor, the only way you may get a suitable resolution is if you both agree on a financial settlement/split of your matrimonial assets.
I am sorry this is not the answer you were looking for, but it sets out the legal position.
Kind Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you for your answer to my question. It was what I expected unfortunately.

Hi Pauline,
If I have assisted, I would be grateful if you could leave positive feedback.
Good luck