How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now

I'm asking on behalf of my girlfriend. So, basically her ex

This answer was rated:

I'm asking on behalf of my girlfriend. So, basically her ex boyfriend, employed her at his own shop. She furnished it with some of her own items, some family air looms. He sold the business to the current owners, including all her items on the itinerary, without her knowledge or consent. The current owners are refusing to return her items. Her ex doesn't care. She received no money. All she wants is her items that have been passed down to her from previous generations. Any help would be really appreciated.
Alex Hughes : My name is***** and I'm happy to help with your question today. I need to ask you some preliminary questions to be able to help you.
Alex Hughes : Is she able to itemise the property and value them?

Hi Alex, she could itemise most items there, but she is just after her sentimental items, she isn't after money, just the items.

Alex Hughes : No problem. She would have a civil claim against the new owner and her boyfriend for the return of the property. The claim is under common law for wrongful interference with goods and also under the Torts (Interference with Goods) Act 1977. She can sue both parties on the basis that her goods have been interfered with and ownership has wrongfully passed to the new owners. A court has power to reverse the transaction and return her property to her. She should write to both parties with a list of her property giving them up to 14 days to return the items and if they fail to do so she can make a claim in the County Court. Just to be clear this is a civil matter not criminal.
Alice H and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you