How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71136
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

A woman told a completely untrue story about me to her employer

This answer was rated:

A woman told a completely untrue story about me to her employer who happens to be my client. She was a friend of mine and as soon as she started working there, my client stopped coming to my salon. My client later told me that she had told him that I am soon going to be thrown out of my husband's house that my husband is getting a divorce. On what grounds? He wouldn't say. He also said there were a lot she had said but wouldn't say because of my reaction. That was completely untrue. I feel she had defamed my character as and I would like to know if I have a case against her.
Thank you.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Yes, potentially you do. It depends what has been said but clearly it was something sufficient to reduce you in his mind so it might well reduce you in the mind of most reasonable people.
The question is whether you are willing to fund the action. You would need to get an injunction forcing him to reveal what had been said and, quite frankly, that is completely unenforceable if he just refuses. That would cost several thousand.
Then you would have to sue her for defamation. Even with the new reforms a contested defamation action will cost in excess of £10k. If this is a person living on benefits with no assets or in low paid work there is no point Im afraid. There is no point in suing a person who cannot pay the award.
You could get a solicitor to write to her for about £100 warning her of the laws of defamation and suggesting that she desists and that usually does work where people are just gossiping.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.


Thank you very much for the reply. Do I have to get a lawyer involved? Am I able to sue her, get a court to summon her to answer for herself? And in that case can't that court request that her employer, my client testify?

And if I was to get a lawyer to write to get her to stop spreading these stories about me, can I get my money back from her including the amount spent now?

And how do I go about this. Because she has caused so much stress to me and a client had approached her for my details because they wanted to get their hair done, she gave the client wrong number and told her a don't answer my calls That they shouldn't bother. So she is actually costing me business.

But suing for defamation as a litigant in person is not really an option. Its really complicated.
You can use him to testify but you have to find out what has been said first or there is no case.
You cannot recover the costs of a letter before action without suing.
You would need to see a high street solicitor to begin the process and pay costs I'm afraid. If you sue then you can recover but obviously only if she has the money to pay.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Jo thanks for the reply.


I am more interested in getting a written apology from her that she has behaved badly. I am very hurt that she has defame my character. And I want that cleared.


How can that be enforced?

What do you advise please. ?

Thank you.


You cannot force her to apologise. There is no way of doing that. Even a court cannot make her do that.

All you can do is really what I suggested above. Get a solicitor to write to her in the hope that she desists or sue for compensation and an injunction preventing further repetitions.