How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10772
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now

Hi there - ... My son and his german girlfriend are trying

This answer was rated:

Hi there - ... My son and his german girlfriend are trying to secure a flat - rented -
In order to verify the ability to pay rent in the process of filling in the tenancy form for the Estate Agent, the information re income and business details all concerned a firm in Germany. The Estate agency said that this was not acceptable to the Landlord as he did not speak German and found it difficult therefore to verify the information.
What is the solution? Whose responsibility is it to translate / obtain verification?
We are under some time pressure and would be most grateful for advice.
Many thanks *****
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
I'm afraid that as it is the Landlord's Flat and he needs to be happy before accepting your son and his girlfriend as Tenants, it is up to your Son to make this possible.
It would therefore be normal for the Tenant to pay for a translation, in the hope that the Landlord is then happy to proceed.
I am sorry this may not be the answer you were looking for.
Kind Regards
Aston Lawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Aston Lawer - many thanks for your swift and succinct reply.

Do you know of any quick method of translation of such documents as would be required. Those offered - though in German - showed Tax, turnover , profit etc details as would be normally prepared by an accountant.

I am personally unfamiliar with these matters, but I imagined that there would be standard procedures, or in these days of international commerce that forms would be available in several languages, or that clicking a 'translate this page ' button in Google might do the trick!

If none of these are realistic, what is the usual way to proceed if, say, I as a Londoner am intending to rent a flat in Berlin - or the reverse for a Berliner?


Hi Ron,
To be honest, it all depends on what the landlord is happy with- it would be normal for a Landlord to accept a simple "Google" translation, but you are best just to speak to the Agent to check that the Landlord would be happy with this, or if not, what would satisfy him.
Kind Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Aston - I hope this is not just repeating the question, but I am still unclear in that I am not familiar with the German Accountancy forms and whether they are the same as those here... what do those in my son's position normally do to obtain a translation of German documents that can be verified by a Landlord in UK who requires security?


Hi Ron,
Afraid I'm not familiar with German Accountancy forms either.
You are best to speak to the Letting Agent to ask what would suffice- if you can get the forms translated, great. If not, could you not get your son's girlfriend's employer to write a reference?
All Letting Agents are different as to their requirements, but with overseas Tenants, if a suitable reference can't be provided, the only way forward would be for either-
◾Your Son can pay a lump sum of rent upfront
◾ use a UK guarantor (perhaps yourself)
At the end of the day, you need to establish what the Landlord/his Agents would be happy with.
I hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Al - many thanks for your advice - I think I have a sufficient picture now as to where the responsibilities lie and will suggest to my son and his girlfriend to try to proceed with the agent and landlord as you suggest.

All good wishes,

Ron Sutton-jones

Thanks Ron.

If you are happy with my Answer, I would be grateful if you could leave positive feedback.

Kind Regards