How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

i rented a property via a letting agent for a 12 month period

This answer was rated:

i rented a property via a letting agent for a 12 month period and no longer live there, i left the property 12 months ago .
I have written and called the letting agent for a copy of my tenancy agreement and the have told me that there not prepared to send me a a copy , i even offered to pay a small admin fee
As i am requesting a copy of my personal data ie tenancy contract then it must be there legal obligation to give copy (ICO) as i am legally entitled to my personal data
Can you please give me some advice of how to receive a copy and the LAW OR LEGISLATION that allows me to obtain it
King Regards *****
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : You can request a copy under the Data Protection Act. By law they must send you copies of anything relating to you.a
Alex Watts : They are entitled to charge a fee up to £10 and they have 40 days to do this.
Alex Watts : If they fail as you say you can go to the ICO
Alex Watts :
Alex Watts : The ICO can make them give you a copy or prosecute them.
Alex Watts : In addition you can go to court and get an order that they disclose the document to you.
Alex Watts : You would need to complete form n1
Alex Watts :
Alex Watts : And form n244
Alex Watts :
Alex Watts : You are asking the court to order that they dislose it.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you