How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71130
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I am a british citizen who has just returned from norway, I

This answer was rated:

I am a british citizen who has just returned from norway, I am a truckdriver and hold a norwegian full CE Lgv licence which is valid 13.01.2016, i am over 45. i have read the dvla conditions and am not certain if i can driver legally on this licence or i have to change it to a uk licence, also i have read on the application for a driving licence counterpart that EU,EEA licence holders do not require a the true? another thing that i need help to undertand or tranlate for me, GOV.UK says i can drive in great britain on your full norwegian valid licence until i am 45, or for 5 years after you become resident in great britain whichever longer, i returned on the 22 august this year. i hope you can help me understand where i stand on these matters, thank you, ***** *****
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Why is it only valid to 2016?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Becouse i transfered my british licence in norway 2011 as i had been living there from 2007 and a CE lgv licence has to be renewed every 5 years

OK. Thanks. I see what has happened here.
The fact that you exchanged a British licence for a Norwegian one is a non issue. As far as you and the DVLA are concerned, you now have a Norweg***** *****cence issued in Norway.
Norway has long since been in the EEA so such a licence does give you the greatest rights to drive.
Because this is a lorry licence it needs to be renewed every five years. I know the rules do say that you can drive until you are 45 or for five years from the date of your residency but there is a caveat for people who are over 45 at the time of entry. They can drive for 5 years from residency or until they are 66 whichever is the sorter. That only applies to those between 45-65.
You can exchange this licence to its British equivalent at your choosing but obviously it would still need renewal.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

what need to know im i legal to work with this licence at the moment?

Yes, as long as you have insurance etc.
In truth, you might find it easier to exchange as employers and insurers will not always easily recognise an EEA licence but its perfectly lawful
The counterpart is no issue as long as you have a photocard. They will just charge you a fee for reissue.
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you