How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I think my question is simple, I November 2013 I was looking

This answer was rated:

I think my question is simple, I November 2013 I was looking for a better deal on my electricity supply and I was actually approached by telephone by a provider and as part of their process they sent me a 'Letter of Authority' to sign and return to them. On receiving this document there was a paragraph I was really uncomfortable with giving them the authority to terminate my contract with my then current supplier, at this point I decided to to pursue any deal with them. After many high pressure phone calls from them pestering me to return the 'Letter of Authority' and assurances that they wouldn't just terminate my existing contract; I rightly or wrongly removed the offending paragraph and returned it. I have recently found out that they did terminate my contract with my current supplier and assume control of my supply. So my question is: - Was I within my rights to amend the 'Letter of Authority' and if so was the onus on them to check and validate the 'Letter of Authority'. Can I claim that they broke this contract by acting in the way they did.


Yes, you were within your right to amend the Letter of Authority the way you did and the onus was on them to check what you had done.

Yes, you may claim that they were in breach of the Letter of Authority by terminating your contract without your consent as you did not consent to them doing this as you amended the Letter of Authority.

May I help further?
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you