How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71048
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi there I have a lodger that has being let down and ought

This answer was rated:

Hi there I have a lodger that has being let down and ought me a few weeks rent. I gave her notice in July and she is still here don't know where to go. I need her to leave asap.
I went to the police and to the citizen bureau. not very helpful....
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Did you agree to her staying till the 6th?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I di agree to stay until the 6th, then she told me that she has nowhere to go. I told her she has to leave asap!!! She is still here!

In that case, you are going to need to serve notice again.
Your original notice would have been fine but you didn't act upon it and agreed an extension.
You need to serve notice in writing giving her no less than 28 days. Some people do try to get away with 14 days but its more dangerous.
At the end of that notice period, you are perfectly entitled to wait until she goes out and change the locks after her. She is a lodger not a tenant. You do not need a court order.
This time though, you must act. Do not listen to her excuses or accounts of why she is the victim and the world owes her a living. She has to pay for her accommodation like the rest of us whatever has happened in her life.
You do have a claim against her for arrears as well which you can pursue at the small claims court but I would concentrate on getting rid of her first.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you