How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4312
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

I have recently divorced. During the early years of marriage,

This answer was rated:

I have recently divorced. During the early years of marriage, my father in law very kindly helped out financially between 1994 and 2001. At no time was any discussion had as to repayment. Suddenly having divorced my wife for adultery, he ha presented me with a demand for £7300 with a threat of court action should I not pay. What are my options?

Ifyou do not wish to pay the money back, you should inform him that:

1) it was a gift and not a debt unless he is able to prove that it was a debt; and

2) that even if was a debt, he is now statute barred from claiming the money as more than 6 years have passed under the Limitation Act 1980 since the money was last given to you in 2001.

So, if he takes you to court, you may defend his claim on the above points.

There is nothing stopping you from paying back the money if that is what you want.

May I help further?
UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you