How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71142
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

if im summonsed to attend court as a witmess,is it only nessessary

This answer was rated:

if im summonsed to attend court as a witmess,is it only nessessary for me to attend court ive been advised to speak to the prosecutor and tell him i do not wish to give evidence
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Does this involve a domestic squabble by any chance?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no my son witnessed an assault and was coerced into giving a statement following a minor traffic violation.he is worried for his well being if he is summonsed to court

Has he been summonsed already?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no but he has a court date which he insists he will not to attend.and he has let the police and the criminal justice service know about.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Relist: Incomplete answer.did not recieve answer to my question

They could summons him. If he has told them he is not coming then they might well.
The difficulty with attending and refusing to give evidence is that there is a specific offence under the Magistrates Court Act that covers that and it carries a month custody. It isn't generally used but the reason for that is that mostly its women making claims of domestic violence. Your son does not have the protection of being able to pretend to be a victim so there is a risk that they could use that offence.
There are no guarantees. Its not commonly used but there are powers that cover it.
Once you have made a statement the matter no longer belongs to you and its fair to say the Crown have become heavy handed.
But if he does not want to give evidence then his only option is to run the risk.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you