How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I have £800k on deposit with one of the clearing banks pending

This answer was rated:

I have £800k on deposit with one of the clearing banks pending completion on a house purchase which should take place in the next 4 - 6 weeks. Is there any way I can protect/insure these funds against bank default, other than splitting the funds with 10 institutions?
Alex Watts :

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Alex Watts :

Sadly no

Alex Watts :

As you know each account is protected up to £85,000

Alex Watts :

You may be able to get insurance through a specialist broker, but generally no, you would need to split it

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?


Thanks for that - that's kind of what I expected but your confirmation of this will help to focus my mind. No problem paying the £28 but only on the basis that this is a "one-off" question for which I have paid £28. I do not want to be paying monthly subscriptions for a service that I probably won't require using again.

Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you