How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35044
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My Daughter and her partner Jo live together and are both working.

This answer was rated:

My Daughter and her partner Jo live together and are both working. They do not claim any benefits. Jo has a child Kane 9 years old. Jo has never married. Jo collects the weekly child benefit. The father of Kane wants Jo to sign over the child benefit book so that he can get a 2 bedroom flat. The father was living at his parents and would have Kane with him 50% of the time. His parents have made him move out. The father works 20 hours a week and his take home pay is in the region of £700 a month. They both would then intend to have Kane on a 50/50 basis. So the questions are they need to know the consequences of this action. The father would probably claim housing benefit and also working tax credits or child tax credits. Would this effect Jo in anyway? Would the CSA want to make a claim on Jo? Thanks Jerry Stevenson
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Can she afford to lose the money?
Has the 50/50 shared care worked until now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have just spoken to them and they can afford to lose the child benefit.

The 50/50 arrangement over the past 3 years has worked well.

Thanks Jerry Stevenson

In that case there is no obvious problem in agreeing to this since receiving the Child Benefit no longer guarantees entitlement to child maintenance where there is 50/50 shared care
It would however be sensible to get the father to confirm that no application will be made.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much. I have sent a copy to my daughter as they may want to ask a question tomorrow when they get to work. I will get back to you tomorrow once they have read it. I promise I will give you an excellent tomorrow. Thank you so much Jerry Stevenson

Hi Jerry
That is fine?