How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71053
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hello, My maternity leave started on 12th August 2014. On

This answer was rated:

Hello, My maternity leave started on 12th August 2014. On 17th August 2014 I came back to Lithuania for labour. SMP period will end on 12th May 2015 and I coming back to UK to start my job.( I have NI number and I live in UK for 5 years and employed). When I been pregnant I was living with my husband, but now he found another girlfriend and we are divorcing. So, I will be a single mom. When I coming back to UK I don't have where to stay, so I leave my baby boy in Lithuania till I will find help from goverment as single mum. Could you tell me what I need to start from? where I need to go for help, what kind of documents do I need?

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Sorry if I'm missing the point but what benefits were you hoping to claim? You seem to be in work?
Or have I misinterpreted?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Jo

I would like to know, can I start claim benefits such as Child benefits, SSP while me and my son are in Lithuania. I came to Lithuania just to spend my maternity leave with my family, I coming back to UK in April. The question is : Can I claim for this benefits from Lithuania, what kind of document do I need to send and is it save?

You have to claim in the UK.
You can claim for a child living elsewhere if you have paid tax in the UK.
But the claim must be made in the UK and you must be resident in the UK.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** your answer.

I am planning to leave child in Lithuania for 2 years. when I will come back to UK alone, where I need to ask help to claim for a child living elsewhere, because I'm resident in the UK 5 years already and paid tax.

You just claim at the DWP
You will need to prove the existence of the child and also be aware that the Government are looking at removing child benefit for non resident children. They haven't done it yet but there are continual threats.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71053
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Jo C. and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you