How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71040
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I lent a friend 3 thousand pounds for a carras a temporary

This answer was rated:

I lent a friend 3 thousand pounds for a carras a temporary loan until they got some compensation through.. I have asked for it back so many times with no joy, u think they have had their compensation and spent it as I know they have been on two lavish holidays.. Do I have a legal case? I have bank statements to prove the transfer a witness who was there when they borrowed it and lots of text messages discussing the loan
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Is there any reason you think you might not have a claim?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Because of lack of response from him, I'm thinking maybe he thinks he doesn't have to pay it back.. He will probably deny I lent it him and say it was a gift when it Definately wasn't
He may do that of course. Sometimes people do come to court and lie. It is quite unlikely that it would be accepted though essentially because it is very unlikely that you would have made a gift of this nature and this value. Friends do give each other expensive gifts sometimes but not usually sums of cash. Even partners do not do that generally. Also, the fact that you have written to him referring to this as a loan and he has not responded denying it also gives rise to an inference.
I do not think that proving that this was a loan will be a problem and therefore getting judgment should be easy enough.
It is harder on the whole to get money than it is to get judgments but if you do not sue then you cannot get anything at all.
It's Small Claims Court sum so it will be cheap enough to issue. You can do so here
It's probably best to send him a letter before action warning of your intention to sue if he does not pay by particular date though before you do actually issue against him. Maybe it will work and maybe not but it will protect you from costs application.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much for your advice... I feel so much better now 😀
No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile