How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71132
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hi i have a caravan stored on my premises, its been here for

This answer was rated:

Hi i have a caravan stored on my premises, its been here for 13 months, i cannot trace the owner and i am owed £1054.95 in storage fees. i have spoke to the finance company who has intrests in the caravan, they have agreed to take their interests off the caravan and told me i could possibly sell it to recover my fees, is this right? could i sell as i think it is now classed as abandoned
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What happens when you contact the owner please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is no response and on visiting the address he no longer lives there

Do you have any other information for him?
How much is the caravan worth roughly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have tried the electoral register and the phone no he gave is non existant, the caravan is worth about £3000, also i was given another address but when i called they had not heard of him

I do completely see your position and I don’t blame you for not wanting to have these goods on your property.
This is an issue of the law of abandonment of goods. As a general rule you are under a duty to take reasonable care of the property of others if its left in your care. However, there are obviously limits to that.
Abandonment is very badly defined in law. Goods are generally abandoned if they have been left for a period of time that is not ‘reasonable’. What is reasonable depends on the facts of the case - in particular the value of the item either financial or emotional but also the inconvenience to you. A small item would be easier to store and so you would be required to keep it longer than a bulky one which clogs up your space.
This is simple enough though. This is a vehicle so you just apply for ownership to the DVLA. They will contact him at the address they have for him to see if he has any objection and if they do not hear transfer it to you.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Caravans are not registered with DVLA they are registered on a HP register to combat fraud

If its a caravan not a motor home then you will have to drop down upon the general law of abandonment.
You can only do what is reasonable. If he is refusing to engage with you and not giving you his address then that is his problem.
Of course, it is likely that he will turn up at some point and start making threats about this. Then you will have to defend any action that he brings on the basis that the goods were abandoned.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you