How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Hi, I rented out my house Feb 2013. Do I have right to increase

This answer was rated:

I rented out my house Feb 2013. Do I have right to increase the rent now? Is there any cap for the increase?
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : Just to confirm you want to claim rent increase retrospectively ?



No. I want to increase my rent for the coming months and years

Alex Watts : Right, what type of tenancy do they have and when did they move in?

they moved in in Feb 2013.


I don't know the type of tenancy, but I know that if they want to move out, they will need to give me two month's notice

Alex Watts : Yes, you need to also serve them 2 months notice that you wish to increase the rent. This is called a section 10 norice.
Alex Watts : There are templates online of this.
Alex Watts : You can only increase the rent to market rent, that is what everyone else would chagre

thanks. is there any limit for the increase?

Alex Watts : The section 10 notice gives them right of appeal.
Alex Watts : You can only increase rent to market rent.

I see. If they don't agree, what can I do?

Alex Watts : if they don't agree then they can take it to a tribunal and it would go before a fair rents committee who would decide what is fair rent
Alex Watts : That decision is binding on you both.

is it a complex process?

Alex Watts : So you serve notice and if they object they can appeal to a Tribunal where they decide
Alex Watts : No not reallly.
Alex Watts : Can I claeify anything for you about this today pkease?

what am I suppose to do during this process, as it is the tenant who takes it to a tribunal


I just wait for the committee's decision?

Alex Watts : Yes

ok. so, from my part, I do not do anything until the result is out

Alex Watts : Or you can give notice your tenants to leave and try and get new tenants paying a higher rent

you mean after the committee's decision?

Alex Watts : No now,
Alex Watts : You can end the agreement now, get new tenants and chagre new higher rent

I do not need to give them any valide reasons for that?

Alex Watts : no, you want to take possession back, you can do this after 6 months or at the end of their fixed term.
Alex Watts : But you must give 2 months notice minimum

ok. thanks

Alex Watts : Can I clairfy anything else for you?

it is fine for the moment. thank you

Alex Watts : great, if I could invite you to rate my answer before you go, the button should be at the bottom of the screen
Alex Watts : if you need more help please click reply


Alex Watts : thanks
Ash and other Law Specialists are ready to help you