How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35054
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My wife and I have been married 10 months and we both have

Customer Question

My wife and I have been married 10 months and we both have been subjected to emotional abuse. She has left the house I live in (mothers and is under her name) on three previous occasions and has done so again. She has however stated that she will wait 2 months to see how we get along so a formal separation, but yesterday another argument occurred and she again blocked my balls and texts. She does have evidence that I have said inappropriate things via text messages but that was some time back. She has also said very abusive verbal outbursts and has been verbally abusive to my mother on a few occasions. She has not contributed to the household since she moved in and stated that her priority from marriage was to pay off her debts and she felt she could do that as I'm a doctor. My questions are: 1. I am considering a legal separation based on the fact that she has ceased contact with me from today. I understand there is a form to fill out and it costs approximately £350. Would that be a desirable choice based on the lack of contact and uncertainty regarding the marriage. Can I instigate this without discussing it with her? 2. My wife has asked me to wait 2 months and in 2 months will be a year and that is the only time when divorce can occur. I have no assets or savings, and the house is in my mother's name. Is she entitled to anything if this proceeds with a divorce? There are no children involved

Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.
I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.
I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?
Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
How long have you actually lived together and how much do you each earn?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Lived together since November 2013 but she has left home 4 times and stays at her parents home for a week or two. She left again last Saturday and I would like to end it.

I earn about 45000 at the moment. I have been advised by a colleague to go for a legal separation. She earns 18000 .

Expert:  Clare replied 3 years ago.
There is nothing that you can apply for at the moment.
There is no point in signing a Separation Agreement since it is likely that there will be a divorce within a couple of months so by the time you have negotiated the agreement you may as well go for a Clean Break Order within the Divorce proceedings.
The short nature of your relationship makes it unlikely that you will be liable for anything other than a one off small lump sum payment - if that.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further help