How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

Hi Alex. I have a similar question to the above. But the other

This answer was rated:

Hi Alex. I have a similar question to the above. But the other way around. We are an irish based company who provided design and coding service to a client in London. We received a deposit payment and the balance was due when the work was complete. On good faith we handed over all the code and designs so the client could test and also responded promptly with any outstanding issues they had. We asked them if there was anything else they needed us to address to which the answer was no. In turn we then invoiced them the balance and they put the website live shortly after. Two months on my accounts department have made numerous attempts to chase up payment as we still haven't been paid. We didn't get a single response to this. I then contacted the CEO directly who was also ignoring these statements and I requested payment. He then informed me that in fact they had issues with what we gave them that he wanted addressed and said they highlighted these issues already, which is definately not the case. I have asked for a copy of the mail he is referring to and have not received it. We are a small business and can't afford to take a loss of several thousand euros. The payment is already two months overdue and I know we are going to be fighting a losing battle to get our money. They currently have the site running with our design and code which they have not paid for in full and it is making them considerable money through advertising . Can you please advise how we could go about getting what's due to us or if we can even sue and claim interest and damages and if so how would we go about the process? Thanks for your time. W
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help with this.
Alex Watts : For now please let me know how much is outstanding ?
Customer: Hi Alex
Customer: hi Alex. The amount outstanding is 4,800.00 euros
Alex Watts : I assume you would like to know how to sue in the UK?
Customer: I would like to know what our options are given we are in Ireland and also if we would have a case to sue. We may not. I just want to explore
Customer: what options there are given the different jurisdictions. Thanks
Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
Alex Watts : If they do not pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
Alex Watts : The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
Alex Watts : If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

HI Alex, based on the above you mention taking the claim to my local County Court, however we are based in Ireland and the client is based on the UK, so how exactly would this work?

Alex Watts : You issue in the UK, you can enforce in the UK,
Alex Watts : If the matter is contested you would have to come here to any final hearing but if you win you can claim costs for travel, hotel etc.
Alex Watts : Does this help?
Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you