How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ash Your Own Question
Ash, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 10916
Experience:  Solicitor with 5+ years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ash is online now

I recently bought a replacement engine from a company advertising

This answer was rated:

I recently bought a replacement engine from a company advertising on the internet, I paid by debit card for what I was told was a 38.000 mile engine identical to mine which came from an insurance write off.
When the engine was delivered to a main dealer (requested by me to install the engine) it was found to be from a totally different vehicle, not even the correct capacity.
I contacted the supplier and was told to send the replacement engine and my original engine back to them.
This was done and eventually another engine arrived, this was still not correct.
To date the labour bill for the garage is about £1100 and I have now not even got my original engine, trying to contact the supplier is impossible as all the numbers I had for them are now unavailable.
I investigated the supplier using the internet (in hind site may be should have done this first, but was in a panic to get the vehicle fixed as I need it for work) and found this is not the first time this has happened.
Is there anyway I can recoup the labour charges from them?
Alex Watts : Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Alex Watts : For now please let me know how you paid for the engine please?

Debit card

Alex Watts : Thank you. Do you know their name and address ? Don't give it me here but you hAve it?


Alex Watts : You need to write and set out your losses including labour and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.
Alex Watts : If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.
Alex Watts : The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.
Alex Watts : If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

The company is based in Scotland, will this change things?

Alex Watts : No, you can still issue proceedings fine.
Alex Watts : You will need to complete a form when you enter judgment
Alex Watts : N510 -
Alex Watts : Does that help?

hope so -ill let you know

Ash and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you