13262538

I am a grandmother to a 2year old little girl .I have had

I am a grandmother to a 2year old little girl .
I have had absolutely no contact with her in over a year as has her father.
Do I have any legal rights to pursue visitation .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm prepared to wait it's important to get the right information

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
What steps has your son taken to have contact with the child
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He contacted CSA and offered to pay maintenance. However she declined any offer of support. Also he has tried asking her for access in a contact centre if need be and mother has also declined that too.

Is your son willing to start court proceedings if necessary
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He would like to , however as he is currently unemployed he has been informed he can not get legal representation.
Legal Aid is no longer available to parties in these cases unless there is a proven history of Domestic Violence.
Grand parents have no automatic right to contact - they do not even have an automatic right to apply for a Contact Order - they need the permission of the court to do so
However a child has a right to contact with both parents and the courts will enforce this if necessary.
You most effective way forward would be to support your son in seeking a contact order which can be extended to include you.
His starting point is to try and discuss matters with his ex using Family mediation (www.familymediationhelpline.co.uk) - but if that fails of he cannot find her then he will have to apply to the court for a Child arrangement Order
http://www.jordanpublishing.co.uk/system/uploads/attachments/0002/1197/EX327.pdf
If he does not know where his ex is then he can ask the court for an order that the DWP release her address TO THE COURT for service
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Experience: I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.