How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 71133
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Hello my neighbour is making it hard for me to get in & out

This answer was rated:

Hello my neighbour is making it hard for me to get in & out of my parking space is their anything I can do.He rents the house next door to my house which I own this has been going on for 3 years. My daughter & son in law have had arguments with him over this and have been taken to court and been done for racist remarks what can I do legally about this problem
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Is he doing this on purpose or is it just awkward to park?
Does he have the rights to park where he is parking?
Can you explain exactly what he is doing to make it difficult?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes he is doing this on purpose,yes he has the right to park where he is parking,he is pulling his car forward more so making it difficult to get my car in & out between his car &my daughters car.

If he is parking on the public road blocking your drive where there is a dropped kerb then it is a matter for the highways department at the local authority.

If this is not on the public road but on private land it may be a matter for the landlord freeholder or the management company.

If there are designated spaces and he is parking within the designated spaces even though he is right up against one end, the end where you parked your car, then there is very little that you can do but the following applies in respect of harassment.

If there are no designated spaces but If he simply makes a habit that if he sees your car, he makes a habit of parking close as he can then surprisingly may seem, that is a police matter because he is harassing you. In order to bring a successful complaint you need photographs that illustrate not just that he is parking is close to you as he can to make it awkward for you to get out but that he is also leaving an abnormal gap at the other end of the car. You also need dates on the photographs in order to be able to take this to the police.

Just because it is on private land does not mean that it is not harassment and you are entitled to protection from harassment under the Protection from Harassment act. The police say this is not harassment and it is a civil matter you will need to speak to a senior officer or make complaint about them failing to deal with this.

So whether you deal with this via the freeholder (if it is on private land) or via the police really comes down to the circumstances of exactly what this person is doing. You can of course make a complaint to his landlord although that will only be of any effect if these are parking spaces on private land such as for example, around flats.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other Law Specialists are ready to help you